In every walk with nature, one receives far more than he seeks. Nature is the art of God; it holds the key to one’s aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and spiritual satisfaction. In the nub of the urbanized world full of buildings and automobiles, it seems like an illusion to walk and spend time in blooming and peaceful environment. Where one can consign to oblivion, relax far from conventional lifestyle and enjoys the pampering of the nature.
We can create our own little natural kingdom (landscape) full of vibrant colors by adding nature’s elements (biotic and abiotic). A dry creek bed (beautiful curvy channel) in the yard can intensify the landscape. A dry creek bed is a channel of landscaping stones that leaves an impression of natural streams.
- Wet and swampy areas- In clammy and moist areas, drainage and unwanted pits remain an issue of concern. A dry creek bed can be considered as an ideal way to switch the water channel. This can minimize the loss to the building nearby and the erosion.
- Beautification of the landscape- No matter what is the theme of a landscape; institution of a creek bed will enhance the beauty and becomes the central point of attraction.
- No issues of shape and size of the land- A creek bed can be created in the available area irrespective of shape and size. It can intensify a small landscape to a magnificent level.
- Introduction of the nature with children- we are surrounded by buildings and roads. Children are not getting exposure with the natural vegetation of the earth. The landscape along with the creek bed is an amazing way to familiarize the young generation with colors, shapes and forms of nature. Once established, the dry creek bed takes on a very natural and inviting appearance, encouraging children to explore and interact with nature.
- Boundary- A walkway or boundary can be made in the pattern of the creek bed. It will solve the two purposes.
- Nature within the house- Utilizing the vacant space of the yard with flora and landscaping stones will let one enjoy the natural beauty within the house and create an enthusiastic environment around. It can be built up on the terrace of the house or building.
- Mark the area with paint, where one wants to create the creek bed. An area with slope and curves is most suitable.
- Excavate a channel or trench (average 13 inches is preferable).
- Remove the dirt to create the depth which will create the banks for a creek bed.
- Cram the channel and make the ground firm with angled sides.
- Add ½ inch, crushed pea gravel on the bottom and the sloping sides of the channel.
- Install a weed fabric over complete area, including edges, to avoid emergence of weed.
- Fix large landscaping rocks in the bed.
- One may add flagstones for easy walk through the bed.
- Fill the remaining channel with the river cobble (2-8 inches is the standard size).
- In addition to it a bridge can also be formed with the help of flagstones.
PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN
- Natural touch should be given carefully with landscaping rocks, while marking the area with paint.
- A dry creek bed should flow, twist, turn and meander throughout the yard like a real stream would. This allows for a gorgeous and natural appearance.
- Once the channel’s path plotted, make sure that the edges slope at an angle.
- While covering the channel with weed fabric, make sure edges are properly covered.
- Cover the path with pea gravel, and then lay bigger stones like landscaping rocks along the sloped sides of the channel. Use different shapes, textures and sizes of various landscape supplies, creating an impressive landscaping design while avoiding any pattern to give it a more natural look.
Introduction of a creek bed in the yard is beneficial in all the spheres (aesthetic, intellectual, cognitive and spiritual). It creates a positive, healthy and lively ambience all around. Creating a creek bed is a vigilant task. While forming a creek bed, one should keep all these basics in their mind to beautify the surroundings.